The student news site of Arvada West High School

The Westwind

The Westwind

The Westwind

Student lands at A-West, defends a new team and school

DOMINIC DRUMRIGHT- defender on the Varsity League Champion Arvada West 2013 boys’ soccer team. When Drumright is not chasing down opposing team’s forwards on the soccer team, he is putting effort into his studies. As a middle school student, Drumright achieved a perfect 4.0 both of his years at Drake Middle School, which helped him to win the title as a Distinguished Dragon at the school; an award for students who regularly demonstrate all around excellence. He received an award in every possible category and became one of the most decorated students in  Drake Middle School’s 52 year school history.

Drumright indicated that he did not give his high school enrollment choice much thought given that the majority of his friends were going to Ralston Valley. “It was funny because when we were making the decision for high school, we didn’t even consider the possibility of Arvada West. My parents say that they take the fall for that. There was a lot of debating at the time, of course, but a lot of my friends at the time were going to RV. So, I decided I would go with them.” The reason that he switched to Arvada West was to provide transportation for his cousin to and have been better. He also noted that Arvada West would be a good transition for him as a  from school. Also, Drumright commented on the social aspect of RV, which he said could soccer player, but that he would also miss his friends from the Ralston Valley soccer team.

According to Drumright, the social aspect at RV was a lot different in that everybody had their cliques. “There were the big cliques, and you would run into the same people a lot. Here [at Arvada West] it’s a lot less cliquey. Granted I still see a lot of cliques around here, but everyone is a little more open to just saying hi or something.”

When asked about the academic aspect between the two schools he said, “Both offer a lot of honors classes and stuff like that. It’s funny though, because Arvada West has a lot more electives of choice. Like you guys have so much. You have Marine Biology, bowling. You have endless things, which is really cool because it offers a lot of variety. I felt like RV was very linear with its choices.”

The schedule structure of both schools is not that different from one another. “The Homecomings of each school were similar in that both schools had some people that were really into it and others who weren’t. Neither school really participated in the theme that much.” They had access which is similar to resource at Ralston Valley.  Both schools have a full seven periods.” However there was no requirement for study hall as a Freshman like there is at Arvada West High School. They also had the freedom of an open campus at Ralston Valley, and even the benefit of freely using cell phones in class.

Drumright finished up his first season as a soccer player at Arvada West. He has been playing soccer since he was only four years old. As a transfer student from Ralston Valley, he was ineligible to play Varsity for about the first seven games of the season, but then he was able to move up to Varsity immediately when he was eligible. His contributions helped both the Junior Varsity and Varsity teams achieve the best record of all schools, becoming league champions. On the Varsity team, Drumright said they had “a lot of overtimes”, and were able to win enough games in shootouts to become league champions as well. “I think there were four including the playoff game that ended in shootouts. Unfortunately Varsity fell short in the first round of the playoffs again on a heartbreaking penalty kick. Soccer was as sport that had not run in the family until his father discovered his passion for it through playing recess soccer. “I used to be all about the midfield, but my coaches they recently saw more strength back there, so I play defense in high school and club now.”

Drumright says that he gets a lot of competitiveness from his Dad. “I can’t really play anything just for fun, I have to have some kind of goal to win. So I’m technically a try hard.” His perseverance is also reflected in the manner in which he has coped with Alopecia areata, a hair growth disorder. His overall positive attitude has benefitted him well in how he has handled having Alopecia areata.  Drumright’s positive outlook and strong work ethic have served him well both on and off the soccer field.